Ah! The power of makeup. Since forever, make up has proven to be powerful in hiding unwanted face traits and make them even look better. This art and science (as I like to call it) has now shifted to a new trend; the highlighting and contouring technique. It is based on two very simple concepts:
Highlighting: helps you enhance what you like in your face and make it pop
Contouring: helps you hide what you don't like in adding shadows to your face and shaping your face the way you like
I have been checking lots of blogger's videos, tutorials and experienced professionals about the matter and I have decided to try this technique! It is really very simple and I am sharing some of my tricks to nail the look.
1. There is no one size fits all: there are so many tutorials that shows you how to put the highlighter and contouring foundation but the secret is that every face has its own formula! You just have to keep in mind what you want you to show/ hide and then the rest is very easy. Let's call it managerial intent (you do what pleases you, you accentuate what you like in your face and you hide what you like less!)
2. Make sure that you get the right colors matching your skin tone: For the highlighter, you need a foundation that is 2 shades lighter than your skin the opposite holds for the contouring; a foundation 2 shades darker than your skin color.
3. Use brushes! I do not need to elaborate more. Use brushes in everything; applying foundation, eyeshadow, correcting, etc.
4. Take your time blending: This is the make or break step. Don't worry, you might have to blend both colors for few minutes, it's normal. Just try as much as possible to blend to perfection, or else you'll look like you were beat up:/
5. Take a selfie: As stupid as this may sound, taking a picture of your face after blending will help you detect some "unblended" parts of your face you might not see in the mirror. (trust me! it works). But hey, if you're not found of selfies, just let someone take your picture:)
This is my take on this technique, if you have any questions, let me know!
Highlighter: Max Factor | PAN STIK | N. 12 True Beige
Foundation for contouring: MAC | MATCHMASTER | N. 9.5
Loose Powder: Rimmel | STAY MATTE | N. 003 Peach Glow
Eye shadow: Sephora Palette
Mascara: Maybelline | The Collossal GO EXTREME
Lipstick: Sephora | R02 Courtisane
Eyeliner: Rimmel |Exaggerate Waterproof Eyeliner
Beauty Lady B102 | B118 | B105 | B109 | B116
I got mine from Carrefour, City Centre.
TIP: Wash your brushes frequently and if you got some expensive ones and you like to keep their name and number; add a layer of a shiny transparent nail polish. This will prevent what's written to start peeling off when you wash your brushes.